Monday, January 25, 2010

Cuckoo!!!

The new semester has arrived and I possess no complaints thus far. My classes are all creative, thought provoking, and truly darn interesting (except mathematics). In my U.S. Fiction Since 1960 class I am reading Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Kesey's writing style, subject, and lifestyle/beliefs are truly inspiring, I hope to someday achieve such a talent.

This in mind, the weekend can be described with one word, "strange". Two tiny tabs of paper. Voila! Cogitio Ergo Sum!

Followed by lots of CHAOS.... It was an exhausting few hours on Friday night. It was a trip so chaotic and unexplainable, from one room to another, outside, then to one house, then back, pizza, cigarettes, weed, two bands at two houses, and then back again.

I realized a tremendous amount on Friday night. Hoffman can be thanked, his mistake is beautiful. Memories, visions, dissecting, analyzing each and every aspect to determine the direct effect and purpose. For instance, I remember looking at a computer screen and seeing the inside of it, tangled wires, lights, circuits all spiraling chaotically around performing specific actions. These actions however appear on the surface to be simple such as charging an ipod, but if we ever saw the process from the very inside, start to finish, then we would know the complications behind the process.

This same principle applies to anything in this world. Life moves to quickly to stop and acknowledge any of this or ever appreciate it. This is why forests have been disappearing and why our atmosphere fills with bad chemicals. Humankind is quickly spiraling to a horrible place.

Most people don't even question how their own mind functions. They make decisions based on what others have told them. I realized on Friday, that no matter what, decisions should be closely analyzed from within like it is the electrical wiring of a machine. The true motive and desired result should be taken into account. Only then can a decision become truly your own choice. And if you are clearly defined in making a decision, you will never make a poor decision.

This is very similar thinking to Josef Pieper in his book The Four Cardinal Virtues. In his book, he defines prudence as the most important virtue man possesses. Somehow, many have forgotten this basic knowledge when it comes to life. The distractions of money, fame, and popularity have completely evaporated the idea of prudent thought. Prudence floats in our mind as a cloud now, its truth comes down in raindrops, after poor decisions force us to stop and think.

Prudence will guide me from now on through my life experiences and decisions. So despite how strange this past weekend may have been, I've come away with a tremendous amount of internal peace. At the same time, I am perplexed by just how far from reality things can become. I must explore more roads, faces, and places. I'll try to keep all my travels written in a journal, so I don't forget their true meaning.

love,
nick


I would highly advise watching this short three song concert at NPR of a band called Edward Sharpe and the Magnificent Zeroes. Amazing performers, would love to see them live!

No comments:

Post a Comment