Sunday, January 3, 2010

When there is nothing to do but nothing

Today was uneventful, but usually what comes with an uneventful day is plenty of time to think, play guitar, read, and listen to music. So in a sense, everyday of mine is uneventful, and actually by this very definition, I live a pretty uneventful life, especially without school. I am quite content with uneventfulness however, especially on sundays (that's like God's day of rest or something right??). So here are the four principles of my uneventful day:

THINKING: most of this activity was done with serious attention for exactly 1 hour, 9 minutes, and 54 seconds, in 19° weather while running along snow covered roads. It sounds awful and please don't get me wrong, it was physically miserable, but besides a frozen face, I came back feeling very happy and mellow. There is something about this desolate New England winter that amazes me with its beauty. This was the best thought I had today, I looked out to the frozen beach and the seagulls on the snowy shore and I thought it looked amazingly peaceful and absolutely beautiful. I ran out to the rocks that extend into the ocean and stood on the furthest rock I could and just stared out into the ocean. I honestly can't determine the exact thought that was going through my mind, but it was somewhere between peace and serenity as the winds slowed and all around me there was silence. It was the nicest part of my day - I smiled and continued running.

GUITAR: I have to admit I only played one song today, "Such great heights" by Iron and Wine. It is a beautiful song, one of my favorites despite its hugely commercial success from the Postal Service cover, which isn't bad, but it doesn't hold a candlestick to Sam Beam's version.

READ: The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera. I've actually read this book before, but it was a while ago and I don't know if I truly appreciated the beauty of it. Kundera possesses one of the greatest gifts a writer can possess and one he, himself, criticizes people of always trying to achieve through writing, and that is the ability to touch people. He creates real people in incredibly realistic relationships, internal struggles and extraordinarily desperate situations. I've taken away a tremendous amount from reading this story and would highly recommend anyone who has love in their heart to read it, and heck, even if your a heartless bastard you'll at least enjoy the stories about sex! For me however, today's section I read entitled "Litost" was extremely helpful in understanding love and despair. Inspiring book.

MUSIC: songs i listened to today:
Say it to me now - Glen Hansard
Time Code - Bright Eyes
Sovay - Andrew Bird
A Thousand Men - Joe Pug
Golden Age of Radio - Josh Ritter
Hannah - Ray LaMontagne
I Believe In Symmetry - Bright Eyes
Belated Promise Ring - Iron and Wine
Your Protector - Fleet Foxes
Me and The Major - Belle and Sebastian
Sandman, the brakeman and Me - Monsters of Folk
Bees - Animal Collective
Illgresi - Sigur Rós

I'm going to try and avoid uneventfulness tomorrow with a lonely trip to Providence simply for a wander. Maybe take some photos and visit the salvation army for some new wardrobe.

peace,
nick

AWESOME MUSIC/VIDEO FROM CHAD VANGAALEN:

No comments:

Post a Comment