Sunday, November 1, 2009

American distance running

Today as Meb Keflezighi was running the final mile of the NYC marathon, I felt overwhelmed with pride and enamored by the brilliance of his performance. He accomplished what no American man, since 1982 could do, and he did against one of the toughest fields ever assembled for the race. Absolutely amazing. The feeling of crossing that line must have been absolutely amazing. After the race, I was rearing to go for a run, and so i did a nice easy 12 miles. That is not even half of a marathon and it got me thinking to just how difficult the marathon is. It is by far one of the toughest events to train for. If 6 months of training for one race isn't putting all your eggs in one basket I don't know what is. Today it all payed off for Meb and he deserved it. I'm in a similar 6 month situation now too (I'm not training for the marathon), well I am but I'm not. I am in the sense of 100 mile weeks, but not in the sense of not running a marathon. But watching NYC today truly inspired me, and I hope one day I'll be running across those bridges, down first ave., and into central park. My music plug of the day goes to Blind Pilot, they're playing Nov. 12 at Paradise Lounge with the Low Anthem, should be a great show!

_nick

No comments:

Post a Comment